Pages

Thursday 8 May 2014

Rouleaux

After experimenting with ruffles on the body, I decided to look at other ways that ruffles could be effective. By twisting a sample that I made using the read-pleater, I noticed that it could be representational of a carousel pole (as seen on my previous post). 
After reassessing my original photographs from Blackpool and Belle Vue, as well as secondary images from Pinterest and the Internet, I was influenced by the twisted and contorted shape of the poles. I decided to get some of my ideas down onto paper, so therefore I began to draw again.

Drawing with twists and spirals.



I then wanted to experiment with different compositions in order to give me more ideas for sculptural work in future samples. I created a giant rouleaux and as it fell to the floor it created the spiral above. The string that I corded onto the organza fabric gave the rouleaux structure and allowed a more 3D outcome. I also like the way that the string curls up as it is forced into the spiral shape.


 
Twisting the rouleaux around a cardboard tube. Because the string is sewn tightly to the fabric, it allows the rouleaux to contort and twist which creates the rippled edge and an interesting texture.



Experimenting with colour compositions - linked from previous research from Blackpool and original colour palettes - adding texture with edging. The pom-poms resemble the tassels on the curtains on the image above as well as the shape of the rouleaux being like the barriers in front as well as twisted like a carousel pole at a fairground.  


To move the project on for the final week and to finalise my ideas, I would like to experiment with manipulating fabrics in order to create interesting textures like I have achieved with considering a more structural approach. I will work with translucent materials to allow the stitch to show through and allow some more structural, manipulated samples. 

No comments:

Post a Comment