Pages

Monday 27 October 2014

Translation into Fabric

This week I have concentrated on experimenting with ways to create 3D structures using only fabric. I started by using heavy calico to trial this as it would hold its shape once it was sewn together.




In addition, I have also spent some time editing the drawings I have done previously using Photoshop - I've hardly used the software until last Friday when I had a basic skills workshop where we learned how to free transform, change the background, crop and change the colours within the image. I found it relatively easy to use, and after playing around on it with a few images, I feel my work has got better and more sophisticated each time.

 
Myself and my tutor decided the edits that I have done which have a more mature colour palette were the best ones, rather than the edit I did with random colours (my first attempt on Photoshop anyway). However, with a context of costume/set design or window dressing in mind, it would depend on the nature of the person who it was for, or the business, as to whether brighter colours, or more muted ones would be better suited to them.
 
I digitally printed the edits onto cotton canvas as it is relatively thick therefore I would be able to create structures from them afterwards, relating to 'Urban Influences'.



Using the Bernina machines, I have begun stitching into the prints using the geometric set patterns such as the triangular shapes and zig-zag, to enhance the image quality. I also used the pin-tuck foot to create a relief surface on the fabric, making it appear slightly 3D.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment