Pages

Thursday 19 November 2015

Screen Print Development


After carrying out more detailed visual research and drawing, I began to think about how these could be screen printed. The technician advised that newsprint paper and a scalpel to cut stencils out would be a quick way to test the designs out on fabric. I found this to be quicker and easier, until I tried to screen print with the stencils. The paper could only be used with one colour as washing the screen would mean the paper would tear away. On reflection, I would only use newsprint again if I was screen printing a small design, not on large designs which I would expose a screen for.

Neutral Painting Linen

Black Brushed Cotton
White PVC
Out of the samples above, I believe the PVC as a background is a little stark for an interiors context. My designs look better integrated onto a neutral or black background and the effect created when the printing inks are layered over one another, particularly on the black fabric reinforces the geometric and transparent element I wanted to capture throughout this project. I enjoyed the process of using digital embroidery alongside screen print and combining them - when printing on top of the embroidery, the ink misses sections which is quite effective, and the stitch on top of the print also adds a graphic quality.

I would consider using the PVC for a live brief such as Michael Kidner as I feel it would be more effective for installation and gallery work rather than for an interior context.

No comments:

Post a Comment