Pages

Friday 11 December 2015

Combining Texture

After using flock, foil, digital embroidery (rayon thread) with screen print, I wanted to further experiment with textural features on my samples. Using burmilana thread was mentioned in a tutorial, as it would give a softer, matte appearance next to the rayon and compliment the flock.

Burmilana thread is thicker than rayon and has a wool-like appearance. I had to alter the density of the stitch on my designs, as well as changing the multihead machine needles and altering the tension on the machine.


The appearance of the samples now, I feel, is enhanced with the combination of textures and compositions and they are more appropriate for an interiors context. They were flat and not tactile prior to this, which the flock and burmilana add now. The choice of colour is more sensitive and thought out. The transparency of the block shapes is also contemporary and exciting to look at and is an effect I have wanted to achieve from the beginning. I'm really excited by my work and I am looking forward to developing my ideas further.


No comments:

Post a Comment