Pages

Thursday 5 December 2013

Preparation - Sampling Unit

In preparation for the sampling unit I visited the Museum of Science and Industry in order to carry out visual research. With the words 'Mapping' and 'Measuring' in mind I set out to identify ways in which these could be communicated through drawing. I started out by looking at some of the old machines that were exhibited and tried drawing them without looking at the page to demonstrate how my eyes moved around the objects. I enjoy this way of drawing because it restricts me from trying to make my drawings too representational and forces me to work in an abstract way. The outcomes were all very different, some worked out better than others.


I also gathered maps of the area and planned out my route from my halls to the museum and the route I would take back to the halls. I also added extra details such as the buses I would need to get onto the route - see below.



The image above is basically the direction I had to turn at the end of each street in order to travel from my halls to MOSI. It could be said that it is in a code as not everyone would be able to understand what it means. 
As I was moving around the museum I was finding it hard to visually communicate the idea of 'Measuring'. I came across a steam machine which needed to have its pressure monitored constantly and I found the gauges an interesting way of translating this idea.  
To develop this idea further I have looked at other methods of measuring things such as weighing scales and tape measures as well as watch faces which all measure things in different ways (weight, length and time).




This is one of my favourite photos from the task because of the old-fashioned style of it. I like how the tape curls and the numbers show the scale and depth of the photo as they're all different sizes. To develop this image into a drawing I will experiment with different media and work in 3D in order to translate the shape of the tape. 


No comments:

Post a Comment