Pages

Thursday 21 November 2013

Evaluation of Origins Unit


There have been many techniques within the Origins Embroidery Unit that have been new to me, but I have enjoyed the challenge. I can now use these techniques in the rest of my degree work and continue to develop them.


In one of my tutorials after the hand embroidery part of my Origins unit, I identified a grid-like pattern appearing in the majority of my work. This led me to research into artists that also use the same type of patterns and grids. I looked into Mondrian and Michael Brennand-Wood who both work in different ways but with the same ideas in mind through line and grids. This has influenced my work through developing the patterns of line and grids within my work. I have identified that I enjoy working on patterned materials and manipulating the pattern to look different at the end. I created a sample that incorporated stripe and thread in sections on the fabric that all have a different effect - some parts of the thread look raised and give the fabric a different texture and some other lines manipulate the pattern such as satin stitch. I have realised that I generally over-think ideas and in the next projects, I will endeavour to be more experimental and just 'go with it' sometimes. I have used my independent study time well and I have continued to develop samples in my own time. I have been organised, I have planned my time in order for it to be used as effectively as possible, and I have consistently met the deadlines and produced what was asked of me. I have enjoyed both the hand and the machine elements of the Origins embroidery unit although I feel that I can do more on the Bernina machines than by hand. I like to mix the hand and machine techniques in order to encapsulate my own hand-stamp on each sample I create. I have discovered areas which I could develop more within my samples and I will consider this is future projects throughout my degree.
If this piece was to be developed I would take one of the techniques from the smaller squares and do this all over the striped fabric so that it looks more sophisticated. I like the patterns that I have sewn, however I feel that the sample would look better if I had only chosen one and done this all over instead. 


This is one of my favourite samples from the Origins unit. I enjoyed working with the pin-tucking foot because the outcomes can be so different. I like the simplicity of the sample and the staggered lines as well as the choice of fabric - due to it having a pile it worked most effectively.


This piece was produced using only the taylor tacking Bernina foot. I like the texture of the sample, but I feel it would be better if some of the threads were cut in order to reveal some of the patterned fabric underneath and create layers. I would also use a different fabric to develop this piece such as a stripe so it is more fitting with the stitch.




No comments:

Post a Comment