Pages

Thursday 21 November 2013

Machine Stitch - Origins



Pin-Tucking.
This sample is simply velvet that has been pin-tucked. I chose a fabric with a pile so that the pin-tucking was most effective and the fabric could be manipulated more easily. I would use a fabric with a pile to do this technique again because of this as it is generally more effective than a fibric without a pile. I also like how the fabric has wrinkled at the edges and been pulled in by the pin-tucking foot.



Pin-Tucking.
Although the stripes don't look to have been changed by pin-tucking an already patterned fabric, the texture of the fabric has changed and the stripes are now raised. As a result I have added a set pattern stitch between the stripes in order to change the appearance of the fabric. I like how the lines have become darker in places and the white lines have stayed the same. I would use the set pattern again in order to manipulate the appearance of a striped fabric in future as it has worked well this time.



Pin-Tucking.
In my opinion, the simplicity of this sample makes it effective. I feel that if I had added much more to this it wouldn't have had the same impact. Also, by using velvet ,which has a pile, the pin-tucking has been most effective. I particularly like the texture of the sample and, once I ironed it, the pile flattened slightly which gave it a sheen and a holographic effect.


Dissolvable Fabric.
By using a dissolvable fabric to create this sample, it is purely made up of stitch. I used a thicker cord in the bobbin for one of the stripes so that the stitch was thicker and gave a different texture to the sample. I would have liked the sample to have a checked effect rather than stripes, but it is still effective in this way.


Pin-Tucking.
By layering fabric and chenille cord together, I could cut away sections so that the cord came through to the front. I chose a cord with a fluffy texture so that it would make tufts ontop of the fabric and burst through more dramatically. I have chosen a simple pattern to leave emphasis on the technique and the cord coming through.


Pin-Tucking.
By bondawebbing a velvet stripe onto a plain black viscose,I created a break in the fabric and a new texture. Also, with velvet having a pile, the machine foot pulled the fabric more in these areas which varied the height of the tucks. The rubber cording underneath supports the structure and makes this sample more interesting to touch.


Pin-Tucking.
Similarly to the previous image above I bondawebbed velvet onto viscose to vary the texture of the sample. I sewed in a grid-like manner as inspired by Mondrian's work. The tucks within the squares of velvet are more subtle than on the viscose which softens the sample.




The aim of this sample was to alter the pattern of the fabric. I continued to use stripe in order to do this and I used a satin stitch to cover parts of the white lines on the original fabric. To develop this piece further I will select sections of the stitch I applied and do an all-over sample to change the layout of the lines.  
This sample was created using the cording foot on the Bernina machine and a variable thread. I like the linear quality of the sample mixed with the subtle hand stitch because it breaks up the neatness of the cording. If i was to do this sample again, I would sew the cord onto a different material with a more interesting texture rather than calico.
This sample was an experiment into the set patterns on the Bernina machine. I particularly liked the pattern with the steps in it because it broke up the monotony of a straight line with the little turrets in it. I then cut away sections to create transparent sections which contrasted with the thick sections of the wool fabric. I think the hand stitch could be neater and as a result the sample would be of better quality.
The aim of this sample was to create an 'all-over pattern' sample using either gingham or stripe. I wound embroidery thread around the spool to create a thicker thread which I like the most about this sample. I would change the pattern of the fabric if I was to do this sample again and I would change the composition of the gingham squares to make it more interesting.



Cording.
I experimented with the set patterns on the Bernina Machine. I prefer the more complicated patterns over the simple zig-zag and straight stitch, however, I would use a different material next time.


Cording.
I prefer this sample over the white calico one because the texture of the fabric and the colour is richer and more appealing to touch. The types of cord used vary and I prefer the grey double cord and the medium weight cords rather than the heavy strings and the thin papers.


Hair-pinning.
I enjoyed hair-pinning because the way in which you can create different outcomes is diverse. I have mixed similar textures in this sample with the flock paper and chenille cord which compliment each other as both are soft to the touch. I would like to create a sample bigger in scale using the same materials to see what the outcome would be. I could also create different compositions and experiment with creating patterns.


Hair-Pinning.
Again, I used similar fabric and cord that compliment each other. Although the lighter grey cord and the darker grey flock paper are in the same colour pallete, the tectures are very different - the cord is crispy and the paper is soft. The white stitched outline emphasises the cording and finishes the sample off.


Taylor-Tacking.
You can do so many different things with this machine foot. The linear quality of the sample makes the different stitches stand out. I particularly like the ladder stitch that it can create which leaves small diagonal lines on the fabric. My least favourite stitch in  this particular sample is the one that leaves loops on the top of the fabric because it looks to me like a machine has not worked properly. However, I think this stitch would look more effective if it was covering a large area of the sample instead of one line alone.


Hair-Pinning.
I have used a light linen fabric and heavy wool cord on this sample which contrast each other. However, I would use a thinner cord in future on linen because it pulled the sides of the fabric into the centre which made the sample look messy. The Taylor-Tacking ontop works well with the wool because of the similar textures.


Taylor-Tacking and Hand Stitch.
This is my favourite taylor-tacking sample because the machine stitch and the hand-stitch are similar which links them together. I also like the staggered lines that the grey cord creates next to the thicker white lines. The fabric is also light which allows the attention to be on the stitch rather than the fabric itself.


No comments:

Post a Comment