Pages

Monday 18 November 2013

Drawings



Drawing using Kinder Egg toys - 15/11/13

I thoroughly enjoyed this task as it opened my mind to new ways of drawing. I didn't realise that something so simple could produce a mark that was as effective as it was. These marks were created using the capsule that the toy comes in which was dipped in ink and smudged on the page. 




These marks were made using the wheels of a toy car which was also dipped in ink and I smudged it across the page with the mechanism dragging between the wheels to create the thicker line. The marks remind me of a running stitch on a sewing machine. 




These marks were made using a fully-built toy car which moves forwards on its own after you pull it backwards. The car was released and it freely made some lines with the ink on the paper. The effect is, again, quite linear and like a grid which links to the majority of my recent work. 



The initial marks made onto this drawing were drips of ink applied with a plastic component from the toy car which were then allowed to semi-dry and then were smudged which left the fainter marks behind the smudges. The whole exercise was experimental which I enjoyed and the outcomes were not expected and couldn't be predicted before I tried them.


'Drawing from a sentimental object - iPod' - 15/11/13

The first task was to create a drawing using only words that described the object. I chose the words 'scratched' and 'mirror' in particular because the reverse of the iPod is a mirrored surface but it is slightly scratched which gives it a strange texture.
'Describe your object through a series of drawings'.

The first drawing represents the flat, black surface of the iPod using gouache. The second drawing eludes to the iPod being scratched on the reverse using ink and a tool made by myself. The third shows the shape of the iPod using thread.

'Make a composition and draw it'.

Myself and other members of my group collated our objects in the centre of the table. The above image is my interpretation of the objects using ink and marker pens. I have, again, used ink to create a scratched surface for the iPod. I used marker pens for the lines of the other objects because the lines on the objects were clearly defined. The image is abstract which is slightly out of my comfort zone.





Image and Cut-Up - 1/11/13

This drawing session forced me to work outside my comfort zone and push myself to be experimental. I'm pleased with the compositions I produced and I like the mix of colours on the paper. The way that the images are arranged on the page is subtle enough to show shape but the pattern also stands out. I would not immediately choose this way of drawing but in some forms it could be more effective than in others.





The images above were created with several different types of media. The image on the right was drawn blind using pencil, then gouche paint to colour the boots at the bottom. I like the effect and the abstract feel of the painting because of the subtleness of the lower pair of boots. However, I feel that the white boots stand out of the page too much and could do with a subtle colour over the top of them to relate more to the other pair. 
The image on the left was drawn using ink and coloured using gouache. I chose to select sections of each shoe instead of the whole thing so that each shoe looked unique. I like the emptiness of the page and the simplicity of the drawings. 25/10/13






Drawing Blind - 25/10/13

This was the first time that I had drawn an object without looking at the page I was drawing on. I enjoyed the session because it opened up my way of drawing and allowed me to draw more freely and forced me to work in an abstract way instead of representationally. 


More blind drawings above.




 'Working With Colour' - 18/10/13

The colour wheel is the most basic way of learning about the spectrum. I was tasked to mix different colours and gradually get to another colour at the other end of the line. Although this was a relatively simple task I found elements of it difficult such as the amount of paint to keep adding each time - the colour changed too quickly. 

'Mushy Peas'

We were asked to mix what we interpreted the colour of mushy peas to be and bring it to our crit the next week.
The results interestingly showed that people from the North (like me) all mixed a radioactive light green colour, whereas people from the Midlands mixed a deeper green colour. The people that lived in the South of the UK mixed a deep green. This demonstrates that we are influenced by our memories of what things are like and that where we come from affects our perceptions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment