Pages

Tuesday 5 November 2013

Hand Stitch and Cornely Samples - Origins

Most of my samples so far have been fairly representational and linear. Here are some of my latest works...


The above sample was created with consideration to my visual research and was constructed with the texture of the original picture of railings in mind. I used moss stitch on the cornely machine in order to create the textured lines which I feel has worked effectively. This sample triggered further ideas which incorporated the idea of linear qualities and grid-like structures...



The above images are from a sample I created with the idea of grids along with maps using tracing paper, cornely and a photocopied map of the area where I grew up. I like the transparency of the sample and the way that the cornely trapped the papers together. 
Blind-folded drawing of a shoe - Friday Drawing Day. I enjoyed working in this way because it meant I didn't have to worry about the drawing looking exactly like shoe that I was trying to draw.


I took the same idea of grids and I used the organic shape of the shoe (see image above) and cut it out again using the same map. The sample also includes hand-stitch, couching and cornely. I particularly like the layers of sewn lines on the sample.



Basic hand-stitch techniques. I'm drawn to the way depth is created in this piece of work.


Cornely sample of drawing of the Arndale Roof. Although this sample is only simple, I like the control of the linear marks. However, I believe it would have been more effective if the fabric had not wrinkled up when I worked into it - this is something I would endeavour to improve in future. 
Grids: I developed the idea of grids into a sample using empty teabags with map paper inside them - I was influenced by Michael Brennand-Wood's work. I could develop this by using wax onto the teabags in order to give a transparency to the piece.


I took the idea of maps slightly less literally for this sample. I used the lines from the roads as the base for the hand stitch and used line to create this piece. 

No comments:

Post a Comment