Pages

Monday 20 January 2014

'Distort and Warp' Drawing Day (17th January 2014)

From the 'Distort and Warp' brief that was given to me, I was instantly inspired to create something different from what I would usually do
Initially, I sketched the outline of the half orange I brought in as a starting point. I simplified it down so that it would be easier to distort later on. After sketching the outline, I filled the 3 shapes in with gouache with reference to the natural colours I have used so far in my Mixed Media project, 'Earth as Data'.
This sample reminded me of the roots of a tree.

Once dry, I dragged the paintings across the photocopier to manipulate the images and to stretch them out. I had a happy accident doing this and discovered that one of the copies looked like the tree rings that I had focused on previously in my project. In order to distort the copies further, I created 3D structures from them which further related to my Mixed Media project. Some of the samples were simply cut, whereas others were stuck together to create the structures.

Cut out photocopy which looked like tree rings into a knot in the wood.


I like the linear qualities of the copies and the way that through distorting the original painting I could create a more abstract image which related more to my project.

No comments:

Post a Comment