Pages

Friday 17 January 2014

Laser Cutter Creations

Before I began to think about ideas for laser cut designs, I came across the work of Sivan Roys who is a mixed media artist. His work 'Blooming Structures' particularly interested me due to0 the simple yet complex structures which he creates. His way of working influenced one of my designs due to the way he connected the individual shapes together to create a structure using a material as simple as string.
http://sivanroyz.com


My original drawings of natural forms of data included seaweed which I translated into Coral Draw and Laser Cut duplicate shapes which I then connected together with string through small holes. I believe my sample would have been better if there were more of the seaweed shapes as it would have been thicker and more effective.
However, I like the way that the shapes make the final sample 3 dimentional and textured and I prefer this effect to the generic ways of using the laster cutter such as engraving, for example because it makes my work different.
Another sample I have created is based around the idea of the Moon as data. I found an image of 'Phases of the Moon' by Irwin Glusker which demonstrated the moon going through the cycle of changing shape as it orbits the Earth.


I attempted to recreate this into a design and used the engraving tool on the laser cutter to try and make the shapes look 3 dimentional by using deeper engraving at the edges. Although the denim I used was effective with use on the laser cutter for deleting the colour from it, I don't think that the material was the best choice for deep engraving and I feel a lightweight wood would have been better for the effect I wanted to create.







No comments:

Post a Comment