Pages

Monday 10 February 2014

Laser Cutter Development

Last week I developed a range of samples stemming from samples from the previous week. I experimented with the same materials but with different functions on the laser cutter; engraving, cutting, embossing.



The above shapes are a development from the original strip of ovals I created in the first few weeks. I rearranged the shapes to create a more interesting composition and used the engraving facility on the laser cutter to generate different shades of the denim and linen that I used. I have also pin-tucked random edges of the ovals in order to create a relief surface and add texture to the samples which I think has worked well on these.


I developed the moon idea and created a more 3D sample by laser cutting round half of the oval shapes, using a double needle to secure them, then using the cornely machine to add texture to the edges. I like the subtlety of the raised shapes and though they aren't sculpturally '3D' they create an interesting relief on the surface.


Using the laser to etch away surfaces
Using denim, I set the laser to engrave which made the denim lose its colour. By then pin-tucking the lines made, a spikey, raised surface was created which was unusual to touch.

 I intend to develop some of these motifs further into more laser cut samples and use my experience with embroidery to enhance them afterwards and pull out their best features.


No comments:

Post a Comment