Pages

Thursday 13 February 2014

Circles and Spirals

Last week I made the decision that I would branch out and explore less literal means of data in nature. With this as my aim, I have used the same embroidery technique of pin-tucking to create new samples. 

The samples reflect loose circles or spirals which, although they link to my project through tree rings as data, they are more abstract.


 I experimented with different materials to see how the spiral pattern would affect them. The poly suede crumpled up slightly but once ironed laid flat. The corduroy was a little harder to work with as it crumpled up more than the poly suede. However, I like the vertical lines on the sample with the spiral in the middle because although it is more abstract than my previous work, it still relates to the tree rings from earlier in the project. 

I also tried the same technique but with thin denim. This was the most effective material to use as it curled rather than crumpled. I then tried to create something more 3D with the spirals I had sewn in the denim by attaching multiple spirals together to create a strip of them.


I attempted to attach them to the body to see what effect they would have. I got this inspiration from research I carried out the other day (threeASFOUR designs - see below). I like the loose spirals on the body as they appear more sculptural.




No comments:

Post a Comment