Pages

Thursday 13 March 2014

Blackpool Pleasure Beach Archive

The trip to Blackpool made me realise how much thought goes into the entertainment industry. The man giving the initial talk explained that the Pleasure Beach as a business have to keep updating their rides and attractions in order to sustain the interest from people seeking thrills. He also explained  how this influenced people after World War 2. I believe that the park was part of an escape from reality after the war and allowed people to escape from the real world for the time that they spent on the rides. I also believe that the rides allowed people to experience thrill for the first time in a long time.

Bright strobe lighting


Exploring the park enabled me to view the structure of the rides and the way that they all interlink with each other across the park. I also noticed the bright colours of the rides and the graphic text on the signs around the park. I particularly liked the lights that hung around the park as I feel it makes the park look magical and mystical. This adds to the feeling of escapism and being in a land of wonder and dreams. 



Roller coasters are mainly simple primary colours. I find it fascinating how the track swerves back through the centre of the coaster and loops round.

After being shown the costume collection that they have there, I found that the colours were, again, bright and would make anyone stand out from the crowd. I loved the designs that were pinned on the wall in the studio too, due to their bright, graphic quality. 


The costumes were the most interesting part of the visit for me. I liked the carnival feeling to them and the bright colours used on some of them.



One of the head wear pieces reminded me of the famous fairground snack candy floss due to its feathery, light consistency.







No comments:

Post a Comment