Pages

Monday 31 March 2014

Development of Weave Samples - Research

This week I set out to develop the samples I created from last week by relating the weave patterns and yarns more closely to my drawings and visual research from the archive visits. 


I gathered trimmings and yarns from fabric shops which relate closely to elements of the photos I took from the archives such as tassels and pom-poms which I will use in my woven samples. 



Experimenting with colour and arrangement of lines
I have learned to appreciate the ratio of colours within my work and how this relates to my drawings. I have been heavily influenced by different yarn qualities such as texture and compositions when arranged next to each other. I have also been strongly influenced by the tassels from the curtains of the 'Wonderful World of Entertainment' image above and my colour palette is tailored slightly more towards that image than others. 



I have attempted to experiment with different patterns on the loom, incorporating the colours and compositions from my drawings - the chevron pattern has interlinking lines which link to the majority of my drawings. The texture of the tassels in my original images and drawings is depicted through the use of pom-poms in all of my samples, whether they are brightly-coloured to symbolise fun at Blackpool Pleasure Beach or darker which represents the lack of fun and a darker side to fairgrounds such as Belle Vue.

Visit my Pinterest page to view some of the things that have inspired me through the start of this project along with contextual images. I feel that my samples would be tailored towards the interiors market, or perhaps as smaller pieces in the fashion sector such as collars or cuffs, for example. 

I wanted to experiment with the composition of my woven samples in order to refine my ideas and identify what has worked best so far in the project. 



I developed two more samples which are reflective of this; one being 'fun' like at Blackpool and one  being 'dark and scarce' like at Belle Vue.







No comments:

Post a Comment