Pages

Monday 10 November 2014

Contextual Development

After my tutorial last week I have considered which samples would work best in different contexts. I believe that the 3D structures I have been working on could be developed for all of the contexts that I have in mind - costume/set design and window displays. 

Some samples would work being placed on the body (or a mannequin in a shop window display) due to the structural quality they hold; on a background within an interior space similar to Matt Shlian's Levi display, or as part of a set design. 

 
Irina Shaposhnikova also works in this way, creating sculptural pieces for the body. I have enjoyed working with structured objects as they depict 'urban influences' through geometric shapes and construction.
 
 
Ella Doran creates 3D wallpaper designs for interior spaces - similar to Matt Shlian's Levi's installation - using geometric compositions.
 
 
In contrast, I feel that the flat, embroidered samples would be better suited being part of an interior space or set design, rather than on the body due to their graphic quality in the embroidery which I believe would be disturbed if they were to be made into a 3D structure. 
 


 
I experimented on Photoshop using Layer Masks in different compositions, from backdrops to drapes on display as backgrounds. My designs could be used as a backdrop on their own, but I think they would be better complimented as part of a display (like the bottom image above - in sections) as they are heavily patterned in parts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment