Pages

Tuesday 18 November 2014

Ethos and 3D Development

 
My focus this week has been to develop some 3D structures from the Photoshop work which I sent to be digitally printed, as well as developing designs on the Ethos software.
 
I re-visited the 'Pattern Magic' books and developed structures using curves to create a concertina effect, as well as the geometric design from earlier on in the project.





 
These could be used on the body to add structure to a garment or could be used for viewing purposes only on a mannequin on display.

I wanted to create a longer embroidery piece that could be used as a backdrop or simply allowed to hang as a display to be used in conjunction with a mannequin (to showcase all the contexts I have in mind) - below. I prefer the samples with smaller amounts of orange and black stitch on them, as I don't think the colour composition works that well with large amounts of these colours together.

 
 
I experimented with stopping the machine and leaving the support stitches to vary the tones of the colours I used. With using a relatively dark fabric, this caused the stitches to appear darker when I skipped the machine which added tone and depth to the embroidery. Although it is a flat piece of work, elements of it stand off the fabric which create a relief from the surface. I also like the way that the darker stitches add detail to the sample and vary the texture. The green colour palette is more complimentary on this particular fabric than the pink and orange, and I feel it would be easier to work with moving forward.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment