Pages

Friday 20 February 2015

Engineering Embroidery - Evaluation


The collection of samples that I want to present for the engineering embroidery project involve a range of sizes and material qualities. I have used leather mainly, using the front and reverse to explore different textures. 



Initially, I used PVC (above) as a cost-saving substitute for leather, which I later decided didn't fit the brief properly - the textures were all the same, whereas with leather there are different weights to try out. Similarly, the designs I stitched out onto the PVC on the multi-head embroidery machine initially were far too literal, so I developed them to be more abstract so they would be more appropriate for the audience. In the process, I used repeat motifs in my new designs, picking the negative space out with the magic wand tool on Photoshop.


My initial colour palette evolved from a few of Timorous Beasties' prints, but later I moved onto metallics in similar shades to enhance the material quality - the leather side appeared flat and the suede side of the leather had a dryness to it. The metallic threads added a new surface quality, a shimmer on the suede that can only be seen in light. These are some of my favourite samples from this project (below).



Some samples were not as successful due to colour choices and composition of their design. 




(Above, left) The choice of purple with this particular leather clashes slightly, and the white shapes are not particularly well arranged, however, the metallic bronze thread I feel works well because it is within a similar colour range to the leather itself; it has a subtlety to it. (Above, right) The leather was quite thin and flimsy, meaning that it got slightly sucked into the machine, causing it to pucker. The design is also stitched too closely together, making it quite dense. I wanted to create a shadowed effect, although I don't think this has been executed properly.

If I was to develop the project further I would have liked to up-scale some of the designs as they are all relatively small and of similar sizes, as well as layering samples using varying techniques such as the laser cutter with machine embroidery. To do this I would need to have better time management when booking onto the Laser Cutter and a wider variety of digital skills so that I could create more innovative designs than what I did. I would also like to try out other materials on the digital embroidery machine to see how they react. I feel I have worked outside my comfort zone with this project due to not experiencing or working with car interiors before, although I believe my work is in-keeping with current interiors due to the materials used. However, the designs and thread choices introduce a new aspect to this particular market as they are graphic rather than subtle.

No comments:

Post a Comment