Pages

Tuesday 3 February 2015

LaserCutting

My focus this week was to manipulate my designs for use with the laser cutter onto leather and my digital designs to create layers and textures suitable for an interior market. I digitally printed my designs onto a thicker cotton that is of higher quality than ones I have used previously. I feel this is more suitable for the context of my work.

Laser Cut Samples






The leather gave off a strong burning smell, but left a crisp edge once cut. I think the pattern on the bottom two samples is suitable for an interior market due to being floral and repeated.

Self-initiated brief

Using the Bernina machines, I carefully selected metallic threads to pick out elements of the print designs to stitch into. They add a slightly rough texture to the material as well as a subtle relief surface. I intend to combine the samples already stitched into below with the multi-head machine next week. This would allow people within industry to repeat my designs using the jump to start element on my designs, meaning they can make several identical ones.





I prefer the more muted colour palettes rather than the contrast of the red and purple. I also think the muted colours would be more adaptable for the commercial interior market and would appeal to a wider number of people. The red and purple palette could be considered a 'high-end' design and therefore is more of a niche market with a smaller target audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment