Pages

Saturday 21 February 2015

Self-Initiated Brief Final Samples - Evaluation


My final collection of samples for my self-initiated brief have been abstracted from my initial idea of 'anatomy' in order to appeal to a more commercial interior audience. I have put all of the designs into half-drop repeat as this is most commonly used within industry. They have been printed onto cotton poplin and cotton satin to experiment with different fabric weights. I prefer the cotton satin as it is sturdier and I could see it being appropriate for use within an interior space, rather than the cotton poplin which is relatively flimsy and could rip more easily. 


I have produced the samples above in a larger scale than previously (64cm X 64cm) in various colour ways as I thought the red triangle was a bit gory and didn't suit the sample. I tried out orange and purple, but I prefer the purple as it compliments the other colours in the sample more than the orange and red do. I would have liked to layer laser cut grey wool over the top of the larger samples to gain a better understanding of how this would work, and if it would be suitable for my audience.

The colour choices I have made merge neutrals with slightly brighter colours to accentuate my designs in areas and allow a slightly graphic approach to the abstracted shapes. Other samples incorporate colours that clash slightly such as red and purple mixed with greys, which I have found a challenge to work with. I feel this would make my designs suitable for most commercial interior audiences. By using metallic threads in these designs it allows a lightness in areas as highlights which reflect the light when turned in different directions as the stitches are all running in different directions. On darker fabrics, I have used metallic threads to offer a relief surface, which allows quite 'dry' looking fabrics a moment of shine which I believe I have achieved effectively.

When using the Bernina machines, I considered how the stitches I used could relate to my concept of anatomy, with one in particular imitating a heart beat. I played with the stitch length when using satin stitch to add depth to the shapes on the print so it didn't look like a flat surface.



The most successful samples are where techniques have been combined to create different effects on the fabric (above), rather than where only one has been used (such as the laser-cutter, Bernina and Digital Embroidery separately). The sample below has lost all its shape because the fabric was too thin. I used cotton poplin with the laser cutter and the fabric just disintegrated. It improved slightly once ironed but it doesn't hold its shape still - cotton satin and wool would have been better choices. 


This sample would have been more successful on a more sturdy fabric, with a lower number of cut-outs as they have ripped into one larger hole in places.

I feel to have developed a way of working that is effective for me during this project, allowing myself time to think about designs in order to move forward. Also, by developing skills in both Photoshop and Illustrator throughout this project, I have been more confident when it came to using these programs to create designs. I believe without being able to use these programs as well as I can now, I would not have been able to achieve what I have done throughout the project.

No comments:

Post a Comment